The CU Triathlon Team is a coed, student-run club sports team at the University of Colorado at Boulder that competes in the sport of triathlon. The club was created in 1993 and currently has won 14 first-place awards at USA Triathlon‘s Collegiate National Championships.
The team has grown over the years and currently (2011) has over 120 dues-paying members.
The CU Tri Team is coached by Mike Ricci, owner and operator of D3 Multisport. Ricci is a USAT Elite Coach, a USAT All-American, and the author of the USAT World Team Program.
Team Performance at the National Level
The team currently has 13 Collegiate National Championship titles awarded as a combined men’s and women’s team score. Since the inception of the Collegiate National Championship title in 1994 the team has been on the podium when not winning the overall title. Our results, since 1994, are:
- 1994: National Champions (1), no coach
- 1995: 2nd place, Rick Ellison Coach
- 1996: National Champions (2), Rick Ellison Coach
- 1997: National Champions (3), Rick Ellison Coach
- 1998: National Champions (4), Rick Ellison Coach
- 1999: National Champions (5), Neal Henderson Coach
- 2000: National Champions (6), Neal Henderson Coach
- 2001: 2nd place, Bettina Younge Coach
- 2002: National Champions (7), Bettina Younge Coach
- 2003: National Champions (8), Ryan Ignatz Coach
- 2004: National Champions (9), Matt Eagan Coach.
- 2005: National Champions (10), Group of 3 student coaches.
- 2006: 3rd Place, Group of 3 student coaches
- 2007: 3rd place, Kirk Nelson Coach
- 2008: 2nd Place, Kirk Nelson Coach
- 2009: 3rd Place, Mike Ricci Coach
- 2010: National Champions (11), Mike Ricci Coach
- 2011: National Champions (12), Mike Ricci Coach
- 2012: National Champions (13), Mike Ricci Coach
- 2013: National Champions (14), Mike Ricci Coach
|Monday||6:30 pm Dryland
7pm swim (in Clare small pool)
|Tuesday||1pm Swim (in Clare small pool)3:30 pm Bike/run (meet in front of Rec Center main entrance)|
|Wednesday||12:30pm swim (in Clare small pool)
2pm bike – no coach – casual ride – 1-3 hours (in front of Rec Center main entrance)
|Thursday||6:30 am Dryland
7am swim (in Clare small pool)3:30p run (in front of Rec Center main entrance)
|Friday||Optional swim (no coach present, in regular Rec Center pool)|
|Saturday||10:00am long bike (meet at CMS-Colorado Multisport)|
|Sunday||9:30am long run (in front of Sewell Roundabout)|